Site Manager for The Wall That Heals
Part-time Site Manager for The Wall That Heals
Unique Opportunity to Travel and Make a Difference
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund, the nonprofit organization responsible for building the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (The Wall) in Washington, D.C., seeks two part-time site managers to manage its mobile exhibit – The Wall That Heals – while it is traveling the country. The exhibit includes a three quarter-scale replica of The Wall and a mobile Education Center. This is the ideal part-time job for someone who wants to make a difference in the life of Vietnam veterans and their families, while seeing different parts of the country.
The Wall That Heals travels ten months per year to approximately 40 communities throughout North America. The exhibit is transported by a 53-foot trailer that becomes a mobile Education Center that tells the story of the Vietnam War and the unique healing power of The Wall. A part-time site manager would be expected to travel to 6 – 12 sites (one week per site) a year and be able to call in for weekly staff meetings throughout the year.
As a site manager, you will be responsible for:
- Leading local volunteers with set-up and breakdown of the exhibit
- Aiding visitors during the public display period, including giving tours of the exhibit to veterans and school/student groups
- Training local volunteers on how to aid visitors
- Working with the site host to manage on-site activities
- Representing VVMF in a community, to include local media appearances talking about The Wall That Heals and VVMF programs
- Caring for The Wall replica and the trailer during the visit
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent people and communications skills. Be a good listener and be able to show compassion to visitors. Be diplomatic but be able to manage any situation that arises. Must have an understanding that every visit to The Wall is unique and the experience is different from site to site.
- Have an understanding of the Vietnam War
- High School diploma, college degree in history, education or related field preferred
- Military experience a plus
- Stamina – as this job requires standing outdoors for long periods of time and heavy lifting of up to 80 lbs. Good do-it-yourself skills helpful or be willing to learn.
Interested candidates should send their cover letter and resume via email to: [email protected].