Jobs at VVMF
Education Specialist - Job Description
The role of the Education Specialist is to develop curriculum and materials that promote the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund’s education programs nationwide. This entails close collaboration with the Communications Team and Development Team to advance education via social media and networking, strategic partnerships with various institutions, and fundraising opportunities.
- Report directly to the Director of Education.
- Coordinate and manage the Hometown Heroes “Pilot” and assist with the official launch of the Hometown Heroes program nationwide.
- Develop new curriculum and education programs based on VVMF’s current education materials (e.g., Echoes From The Wall Teachers’ Guide) that incorporate national learning standards, social and new media, STEM, and mobile learning.
- Work closely with the Manager of Communications and Social Media to provide communication/outreach to educators and students via VVMF blog, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media/networking platforms.
- Coordinate and facilitate special education projects such as Project Mash, an online learning platform via Pearson Foundation.
- Research and build strategic partnerships with organizations that will support and/or enhance VVMF’s education programs and donor prospects.
- Assist and participate in various fundraising activities for Education Center at The Wall project as needed – Prospect Review, Proposal Review, Donor Meetings/Presentations, and Event Planning.
- Write grants to secure funds for education programs and the Education Center.
- Manage education section on VVMF website and keep information up to date. Work directly with Communications Team.
- Secondary point of contact for partnership activities with A&E History, Time, and Veterans History Project, vendors, and museum professionals.
- Respond to email and telephone queries from educators, students, veterans, and others pertaining to education.
- Participate in Close Up field trips at The Memorial from March to October.
- Assist in the coordination and facilitation of summer education Workshops at The Wall with partner organizations.
- Work closely with The Wall That Heals and Volunteer Coordinator to coordinate Workshops at The Wall, Close Up field trips, and other special events or activities with volunteers.
- Provide educational materials to teachers, students, volunteers, and others as requested via mailings; and track the materials provided on a yearly basis.
- Administer front-end and formative evaluations on new curriculum with educators and professionals to ensure student engagement promoting experiential and sustainable learning.
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings, and attend weekly education team meetings; provide status updates as needed.
- Miscellaneous administrative and education program tasks as required.
- Attend various networking events, professional development seminars, and conferences to learn, contribute, and promote VVMF in the museum education field.
- Master’s degree in Museum Education, American History, or related discipline
- Minimum 3 years’ combined experience in museum education and classroom teaching
- Familiarity with National Learning Standards (e.g., Common Core, CS3, state standards)
- Strong writing and verbal skills
- Excellent computer skills and experience in communicating through social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Vines, blogs, and other sites.
- Grant writing experience required
- Fundraising experience desired
- Established contacts with museum professionals, educators, and education-related institutions and organizations
- Team player and collaborative
- Exceptional time management skills; meet deadlines
- Connection to Vietnam and/or veteran community a plus
Salary range is $48,000 - $52,000, depends upon experience.
Some travel required for donor prospect presentations.
Excellent health benefits and retirement plan provided.
For more information on updated draft of Hometown Heroes, click here.
Please submit cover letter and resume to the Director of Education, Sharon Deane (email@example.com) by December 20, 2013.
Qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview. Please do not contact the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund to inquire about the status of your application. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.