Jobs at VVMF
Education Programs Specialist
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund (VVMF) is seeking to hire a committed, skilled and outgoing professional to work as the organization’s Education Programs Specialist. Based in Arlington, VA, VVMF is the nonprofit organization that founded the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (The Wall) in Washington, D.C. in 1982. VVMF’s mission is to honor and preserve the legacy of service in America and educate all generations about the impact of the Vietnam War and era.
The Education Programs Specialist will lead and manage VVMF’s existing educational programming, develop new education initiatives, and establish innovative opportunities for programming nationwide via social media, networking, and strategic partnerships with various institutions.
The Education Programs Specialist reports to the Chief Operating Officer. The candidate should have:
- Master’s degree in Museum Education, Education, History, or related discipline
- Minimum 5 years’ combined experience in museum education and classroom teaching
- Familiarity with national learning standards (e.g., Common Core, C3, state standards)
- Strong writing and verbal skills
- Grant writing experience
- Experience working with volunteers
- Established contacts with museum professionals, educators, and education-related institutions and organizations
- Excellent computer skills and experience in communicating through social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Google Hangouts, and more.
- Team player and collaborative
- Exceptional time management skills; meet deadlines
The ideal candidate will also possess:
- Knowledge of the history of the Vietnam war and era preferred
- Experience working with the National Park Service
All staff at VVMF receive excellent salaries and benefits. Ceremonies at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and other special events are vital to VVMF's mission and programs. All staff members are occasionally required to work extended hours, days and/or weekends (i.e., Father's Day, etc.) and holidays (Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, etc.) as needed.
This position offers a unique opportunity for the applicant to work with a nationally recognized and well-respected organization that impacts millions each year. If you want the opportunity to work with dedicated professionals, teachers, historians, volunteers and veterans, and the general public, this position is for you.
If interested in this position, we strongly suggest you review and explore our website.
Please send a cover letter addressing your interest and a current detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digital Content Intern
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund (VVMF) has an immediate opening for a part-time Digital Content Intern. Based in Arlington, VA, VVMF is the nonprofit organization that founded the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (The Wall) in Washington, D.C. in 1982. VVMF’s mission is to honor and preserve the legacy of service in America and educate all generations about the impact of the Vietnam War and era.
This internship provides an introduction into the world of journalistic writing, content curation, and online communications. The intern will help bring VVMF programs and ceremonies into online presence via blogs and articles. He or she will research the history of the Vietnam era and impact of The Wall in Washington, D.C. by speaking to families and veterans, collecting pictures and quotes to exemplify The Wall’s importance to our nation. He or she will interact with the public to gather stories, help execute social media posts, and play a meaningful role in our online editorial operations. This position reports to the Manager of Online Communications and the Director of Communications. This is a paid internship for the months of October – January for 15-20 hours/week. The internship has the possibility to be extended.
The ideal candidate will have relevant coursework in communications, marketing or journalism. He or she will also be a self-starter, have an optimistic attitude, and exceptional communication skills. The candidate will display a strong interest in writing, sharing veterans’ stories and the VVMF mission to an ever-growing audience, online and in the field.
Qualified candidate will be: A currently enrolled undergraduate with at least two years of coursework in the communications or journalism field and at least one year experience working in an office environment.
The candidate should be familiar with social media, especially Facebook and Twitter, possess strong interpersonal skills, and have exceptional writing skills. He or she will be a proactive communicator, have a keen attention to detail; and have the ability to maintain accurate, accessible records of progress and work completed.
He or she must be able to work some weekends and holidays, including Veterans Day.
Responsibilities will include:
- Conduct research on the history of The Wall and research important historical dates during the Vietnam era for input in the Comms and Online Marketing Calendar
- Assist with interviewing families, veterans, and the public for blogs and stories, and join VVMF staffers to meet Honor Flights/groups at The Wall
- Compile content from VVMF’s photo archives and VVMF books in search of new ways to engage the community around The Wall’s 35th anniversary
- Assist with garnering media coverage around The Wall That Heals, VVMF’s half-scale Wall replica and mobile Education Center (i.e. writing press releases)
- Compile media lists for The Wall That Heals sites
- Administrative duties, as needed
- Assist the Manager of Online Communications in executing content using online social media platforms - scheduling and posting on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Monitor Facebook comments and Twitter mentions, address questions and inquiries daily
Please send resume, cover letter and writing sample addressed to: Director of Communications, Heidi Zimmerman at email@example.com
With over three decades of success in our mission, our goal is to strive to be an Employer of Choice. As such, we offer a collaborative team environment and many opportunities for personal growth and professional development.
VVMF is AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.