- Catalog Number:VIVE 35616
- Accession Date:5/9/1989
- Item Summary:Handwritten note. The note is addressed, "Dear Steve", is signed, "Love, Priscilla", is dated, "5/7/89", and reads, "I just wanted you to know we missed you at the soda fountain when you left in 1969. / We appreciated the poems. / 21 was too young to lose you." The artifact was left at The Wall by a donor identified only as, "Priscilla" on May 7, 1989.
- Catalog Number:VIVE 35933
- Accession Date:6/24/1991
- Item Summary:Handwritten letter. The letter is addressed, "Dear Bobby", is signed, "Love, / Donna", is dated, "June 20, 1991", and opens with the line, "August 3rd will mark twenty years since you were taken away." In content, the author addresses Bobby twenty (20) years after his death in Vietnam on August 3, 1971 in order to, "[...] pay my respects" and to answer questions about their interrupted love affair. The author acknowledges that, "Parents interfered, as is the case with young lovers", and notes that, "You must have wondered why I had not returned your letters. / I was not even aware you had written until several months later. / My mother had interfered one final time." Donna closes her letter to Bobby with the lines, "Even though all this time has passed and I'm married with a family of my own, you will always have a special place in my heart. / After all you were my "first love"." The artifact was left at The Wall by a donor identified only as, "Donna" on June 20, 1991.
- Catalog Number:VIVE 35927
- Accession Date:6/24/1991
- Associated Name(s) on The Wall: TERRY W CRESSEL
- Item Summary:Wedding invitation dedicated to U.S. Army Private First Class (PFC) Terry Walker Cressel. The invitation pertains to the marriage of, "Kimberly Michelle Cressel" to, "Robert John Matuozak" at, "Bon Air Baptist Church / 800 North Illinois Street / Arlington, Virginia" on June 15, 1991, and bears a handwritten inscription from the bride-to-be reading, ""I miss you daddy! / Sure do wish you were here! / Love, / Michelle". The artifact was left at The Wall by Kimberly Michelle Cressel in June 1991.
- Accession Group:VIVE-00086
- Record Component Qty:1
- Item Description:WEDDING INVITATION DEDICATED TO U.S. ARMY PRIVATE FIRST CLASS (PFC) TERRY WALKER CRESSEL. THE OBJECT CONSISTS OF A WEDDING INVITATION PRINTED IN BLACK & BROWN INK AND CURSIVE SCRIPT/ARABIC NUMERALS UPON A RECTANGULARLY SHAPED, BI-FOLD, ARTCO BRAND CARD COMPRISED OF A SHEET OF PLAIN, OFF-WHITE PAPER STOCK BEARING A ROUGHLY TORN EDGE ALONG THE PROPER LEFT-HAND SIDE OF THE EXTERIOR, OBVERSE OBJECT SURFACE. AT THE UPPER, PROPER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF THE EXTERIOR, OBVERSE OBJECT SURFACE OF THE CARD IS A GRAPHIC DESIGN EXECUTED IN BROWN INK AND DEPICTING TWO (2) YOUNG, CAUCASIAN CHILDREN (ONE (1) BOY AND ONE (1) GIRL) HOLDING HANDS AND WALKING AWAY FROM THE VIEWER THROUGH A FIELD OF KNEE-HIGH GRASS. AN INSCRIPTION PRINTED IN BLACK INK AND CURSIVE SCRIPT AT THE LOWER, PROPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER OF THE EXTERIOR, OBVERSE OBJECT SURFACE READS, "THIS DAY I WILL MARRY MY FRIEND; THE ONE I LAUGH WITH, LIVE FOR, DREAM WITH, LOVE". AT THE INTERIOR, PROPER RIGHT-HAND SIDE OF THE CARD IS AN INSCRIPTION HANDWRITTEN IN BLUE INK AND CURSIVE SCRIPT DIRECTED TOWARDS PFC CRESSEL AND READING, "I MISS YOU DADDY! / SURE DO WISH YOU WERE HERE! / LOVE, / MICHELLE". AT THE INTERIOR, PROPER LEFT-HAND SIDE OF THE CARD IS AN INSCRIPTION PRINTED IN BROWN INK AND CURSIVE SCRIPT/ARABIC NUMERALS CONSTITUTING THE LOGISTICAL DETAILS OF THE WEDDING INVITATION AND READING, "KIMBERLY MICHELLE CRESSEL / AND / ROBERT JOHN MATUSZAK / REQUEST THE HONOUR OF YOUR PRESENCE / AT THEIR MARRIAGE / ON SATURDAY, THE FIFTEENTH OF JUNE / NINETEEN HUNDRED AND NINETY-ONE / AT ONE O'CLOCK IN THE AFTERNOON / BON AIR BAPTIST CHURCH / 800 NORTH ILLINOIS STREET / ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA". AT THE LOWER, CENTER EDGE OF THE EXTERIOR, REVERSE OBJECT SURFACE OF THE CARD IS A STATEMENT OF COPYRIGHT PRINTED IN BROWN INK AND BLOCK SCRIPT AND READING, "© ARTCO". ACCORDING TO VIVE CATALOG NOTES PREPARED BY MRCE COLLECTIONS STAFF, THE NPS RANGER'S LOG ENTRY CORRESPONDING TO THIS ARTIFACT IS RECORDED AS FOLLOWS: "# 6/322".
- Associated Item Text: Text of the printed & handwritten inscriptions upon the various object surfaces is transcribed in full, as follows: [Exterior, obverse object surface, printed inscription] "This day I will marry my friend; the one I laugh with, live for, dream with, Love" / [Interior, proper left-hand object surface, printed inscription] "Kimberly Michelle Cressel / and / Robert John Matuszak / request the honour of your presence / at their marriage / on Saturday, the fifteenth of June / nineteen hundred and ninety-one / at one o'clock in the afternoon / Bon Air Baptist Church / 800 North Illinois Street / Arlington, Virginia" / [Exterior, reverse object surface, printed inscription] "© ARTCO" / [Interior, proper right-hand object surface, handwritten inscription] "I miss you daddy! / Sure do wish you were here! / Love, / Michelle"
Item Dimensions and Weight:
- Item Weight: 6.6g
- Item Length: 15.1cm
- Item Width: 11.2cm
- Item Height: N/A
- Item Depth: N/A
- Item Notes:ACCORDING TO VIVE CATALOG NOTES PREPARED BY MRCE COLLECTIONS STAFF, THE NPS RANGER'S LOG ENTRY CORRESPONDING TO THIS ARTIFACT IS RECORDED AS FOLLOWS: "# 6/322".
Items left at The Wall - The Virtual Collection
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial was dedicated on November 13, 1982. Shortly thereafter, visitors to the Memorial began leaving items in memoriam to those killed and missing service members listed on The Wall. These artifacts now collectively comprise the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Collection -- a museum collection of more than 400,000 items held in the public trust by the National Park Service. Today, this Collection is among the largest and most actively researched collections in the National Capital Region.
The Collection is jointly curated by National Mall and Memorial Parks and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund (VVMF). The VVMF is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that relies upon public donations to continue its work, and receives no federal funding.