- Catalog Number:VIVE 35488
- Accession Date:4/23/1990
- Item Summary:Handwritten note dedicated to U.S. Marine Corps Private First Class (PFC) Russell Emil Krause. The note is addressed, "Dear Russ" is signed, "Love / Tutti", is dated, "April 1990", and reads, "I remember as a child telling you that there was no Santa Claus. / I was wrong and I have never forgiven myself." The artifact was left at The Wall by a donor identified only as, "Tutti" in April 1990.
- Catalog Number:VIVE 35927
- Accession Date:6/24/1991
- Item Summary:Wedding invitation dedicated to U.S. Army Private First Class (PFC) Terry Walker Cressel. The invitation pertains to the marriage of, "Kimberly Michelle Cressel" to, "Robert John Matuozak" at, "Bon Air Baptist Church / 800 North Illinois Street / Arlington, Virginia" on June 15, 1991, and bears a handwritten inscription from the bride-to-be reading, ""I miss you daddy! / Sure do wish you were here! / Love, / Michelle". The artifact was left at The Wall by Kimberly Michelle Cressel in June 1991.
- Catalog Number:VIVE 35616
- Accession Date:5/9/1989
- Associated Name(s) on The Wall: N/A
- Item Summary:Handwritten note. The note is addressed, "Dear Steve", is signed, "Love, Priscilla", is dated, "5/7/89", and reads, "I just wanted you to know we missed you at the soda fountain when you left in 1969. / We appreciated the poems. / 21 was too young to lose you." The artifact was left at The Wall by a donor identified only as, "Priscilla" on May 7, 1989.
- Accession Group:VIVE-00057
- Record Component Qty:1
- Item Description:HANDWRITTEN NOTE. THE OBJECT CONSISTS OF A NOTE HANDWRITTEN IN BLUE INK AND BLOCK SCRIPT/ARABIC NUMERALS UPON A MINIATURE SIZED SHEET OF WHITE, LINED, SPIRAL NOTEBOOK PAPER. THE NOTE IS ADDRESSED, "DEAR STEVE", IS SIGNED, "LOVE, PRISCILLA", IS DATED, "5/7/89", AND READS, "I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW WE MISSED YOU AT THE SODA FOUNTAIN WHEN YOU LEFT IN 1969. / WE APPRECIATED THE POEMS. / 21 WAS TOO YOUNG TO LOSE YOU."
- Associated Item Text: Text of the handwritten inscription upon the obverse object surface is transcribed in full, as follows: "5/7/89 / Dear Steve: / I just wanted you to know we missed you at the soda fountain when you left in 1969. / We appreciated the poems. / 21 was too young to lose you. / Love, Priscilla"
Item Dimensions and Weight:
- Item Weight: 0.6g
- Item Length: 12.7cm
- Item Width: 7.5cm
- Item Height: N/A
- Item Depth: N/A
Items left at The Wall - The Virtual Collection
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial was dedicated on November 13, 1982. Shortly thereafter, visitors to the Memorial began leaving items in memoriam to those killed and missing service members listed on The Wall. These artifacts now collectively comprise the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Collection -- a museum collection of more than 400,000 items held in the public trust by the National Park Service. Today, this Collection is among the largest and most actively researched collections in the National Capital Region.
The Collection is jointly curated by National Mall and Memorial Parks and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund (VVMF). The VVMF is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that relies upon public donations to continue its work, and receives no federal funding.