print, black & white photographic
- Catalog Number:VIVE 01348
- Accession Date:7/18/1985
- Item Summary:Black & white photographic print. The photo is an 'in-country' image captured in Vietnam that depicts four (4) young Caucasian-American serviceman dressed in military issue field attire (i.e. M1 combat helmets, body armor fragmentation vests, OG-107 tropical combat trousers, combat boots, etc.) and armed with M14 rifles and an M60 machine gun in front of a fortified village or compound [?] A handwritten inscription upon the reverse surface of the photograph identifies the image subjects and reads, "Rick Jerry Lonnie & Myself". The artifact was left at The Wall along with seven (7) other black & white photographic prints (VIVE (858, 887, 888, 1342, 1343, 1345, & 1347)) and a military issue, OG-107 men's tropical combat jungle fatigue coat (VIVE (5041)) by an anonymous Vietnam veteran between June - July 1985.
print, color photographic
- Catalog Number:VIVE 01395
- Accession Date:11/12/1985
- Item Summary:Color photographic print dedicated to U.S. Army Staff Sergeant (SSG) Gary Michael Smith. The print is an 'in-country' image captured in Vietnam which depicts two (2) young, Caucasian-American servicemen in military issue field attire (i.e. OG-107 tropical combat trousers) standing next to a field radio inside a plywood military structure lit by a single, bare light bulb. The artifact was left at The Wall along with another color photographic print (VIVE (1580)), a funeral program (VIVE (1791)), & a handwritten letter (VIVE (1998)) by an anonymous donor between August - November 1985.
print, black & white photographic
- Catalog Number:VIVE 01349
- Accession Date:7/18/1985
- Associated Name(s) on The Wall: ALLEN L PIERCE
- Item Summary:Black & white photographic print and an accompanying handwritten note dedicated to U.S. Navy Hospital Corpsman, Petty Officer Third Class (HM3) Allen Linn Pierce. Printed and handwritten inscriptions upon the reverse surface of the photo depicting HM3 Pierce specify his military unit information, "ATTACHED TO / BRAVO BTRY. 1st BN 12TH MARS / 1ST PROVINCIAL RIFLE CO.", note his casualty information, "KIA 24 FEB 66", and reference his Vietnam Veterans Memorial (VVM) Wall location information, "5E Row 74", while the handwritten note records his manner of death as, "KILLED BY .51 CAL VC MACHINE GUN". The artifact was left at Panel 5E of The Wall by an anonymous donor between June - July 1985.
- Accession Group:VIVE-00012
- Record Component Qty:2
- Item Description:BLACK & WHITE PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINT DEDICATED TO U.S. NAVY HOSPITAL CORPSMAN, PETTY OFFICER THIRD CLASS (HM3) ALLEN LINN PIERCE. THE OBJECT CONSISTS OF A BLACK & WHITE PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINT (PORTRAIT ORIENTATION) UPON A RECTANGULARLY SHAPED SHEET OF WHITE, KODAK BRAND PHOTO PAPER. THE IMAGE AT THE OBVERSE OBJECT SURFACE IS AN 'IN-COUNTRY' IMAGE CAPTURED IN VIETNAM THAT DEPICTS A YOUNG, CAUCASIAN-AMERICAN SERVICEMAN (HM3 PIERCE). HM3 PIERCE IS DRESSED IN MILITARY ISSUE FIELD ATTIRE (E.G. OD GREEN CAP, OG-107 UTILITY SHIRT, OG-107 TROPICAL COMBAT TROUSERS, COMBAT BOOTS, ETC.) AND STANDS WITH HANDS ON HIPS WHILE FACING THE CAMERA WITH A QUIZZICAL FACIAL EXPRESSION JUST OUTSIDE THE OPEN FLAP OF AN OD GREEN CANVAS TENT, NEXT TO A GAS CAN AT HIS PROPER RIGHT-HAND SIDE AND IN FRONT OF A LANDSCAPE CHARACTERIZED BY SANDY SOIL AND LOW SCRUB VEGETATION. AT THE CENTER OF THE REVERSE OBJECT SURFACE OF THE PHOTOGRAPH, THE VIETNAM VETERANS MEMORIAL (VVM) WALL LOCATION INFORMATION, "5E ROW 74" IS HANDWRITTEN IN BLACK INK AND BLOCK SCRIPT/ARABIC NUMERALS. AFFIXED ALONG THE LOWER EDGE OF THE REVERSE OBJECT SURFACE OF THE PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINT ARE TWO (2) ADHESIVE, WHITE PAPER ADDRESS LABELS BEARING INFORMATION IDENTIFYING THE SUBJECT OF THE PHOTOGRAPH PRINTED AND HANDWRITTEN IN BLACK INK AND BLOCK SCRIPT/ARABIC NUMERALS. THE INFORMATION PRINTED UPON THE FIRST (1ST, UPPER) LABEL READS, "ATTACHED TO / BRAVO BTRY. 1ST BN 12TH MARS / 1ST PROVINCIAL RIFLE CO." THE INFORMATION PRINTED UPON THE SECOND (2ND, LOWER) LABEL READS, "HM 2 AL PIERCE / KIA MARCH APRIL 1966 / CHU LAI VIETNAM". HANDWRITTEN IN BLACK INK AND BLOCK SCRIPT/ARABIC NUMERALS ALONG THE LOWER EDGE OF THIS SECOND (2ND) LABEL IS THE CASUALTY INFORMATION, "KIA 24 FEB 66". THE PHRASE, "THIS PAPER MANUFACTURED BY KODAK" IS PRINTED IN GRAY INK AND BLOCK SCRIPT REPEATEDLY IN A GRAPHIC MOTIF ACROSS THE REVERSE OBJECT SURFACE OF THE PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINT. ACCOMPANYING THE PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINT IS A NOTE HANDWRITTEN IN BLACK INK AND BLOCK SCRIPT/ARABIC NUMERALS UPON THE REVERSE OBJECT SURFACE OF A GREEN, LINED, THREE INCH (3") X FIVE INCH (5") NOTECARD. THE NOTE IDENTIFIES THE SUBJECT OF THE ACCOMPANYING PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINT AS, " "DOC" AL PIERCE / HM2", SPECIFIES HIS CASUALTY INFORMATION AS, "KIA / 24 FEB 66 / CHU LAI VIETNAM", NOTES HIS MILITARY UNIT INFORMATION, "ATTACHED TO / BRAVO 1ST BN 12TH MARINES", AND DESCRIBES HIS MANNER OF DEATH AS, "KILLED BY .51 CAL VC MACHINE GUN". THE HANDWRITTEN NOTE WAS ORIGINALLY DISCOVERED AFFIXED TO THE PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINT VIA STRIPS OF ADHESIVE, BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE, IN SUCH A MANNER THAT THE NOTE FOLDED OVER ONTO THE SURFACE OF THE PRINT. ACCORDING TO VIVE CATALOG NOTES ORIGINALLY PREPARED BY MRCE COLLECTIONS STAFF, THE COLLECTIONS PHOTOGRAPHY CITATION PERTAINING TO THE ARTIFACT RECORD IS RECORDED AS FOLLOWS: "IMAGE: DISC 2669, #21-22".
- Associated Item Text: Text of the printed and handwritten inscriptions upon the photographic print and the handwritten notecard is transcribed in full, as follows: [Photographic print, reverse object surface, printed inscriptions] "ATTACHED TO / BRAVO BTRY. 1st BN 12TH MARS / 1ST PROVINCIAL RIFLE CO. / HM 2 AL PIERCE / KIA MARCH APRIL 1966 / CHU LAI VIETNAM" / [Photographic print, reverse object surface, handwritten inscriptions] "5E Row 74 / KIA 24 FEB 66" / [Handwritten notecard, reverse object surface, handwritten inscriptions] " "DOC" AL PIERCE / HM2 / KIA / 24 FEB 66 / CHU LAI VIETNAM / ATTACHED TO / BRAVO 1st BN 12th MARINES / KILLED BY .51 CAL VC MACHINE GUN"
Item Dimensions and Weight:
- Item Weight: 6.5g (Weight of photographic print only)
- Item Length: 17.5cm
- Item Width: 12.8cm
- Item Height: N/A
- Item Depth: N/A
- Item Notes:ACCORDING TO VIVE CATALOG NOTES ORIGINALLY PREPARED BY MRCE COLLECTIONS STAFF, THE COLLECTIONS PHOTOGRAPHY CITATION PERTAINING TO THE ARTIFACT RECORD IS RECORDED AS FOLLOWS: "IMAGE: DISC 2669, #21-22".
Dimensions listed above are for the photographic print only. Measurements for the accompanying handwritten note are as follows:
7.6cm (L) X 12.7cm (W) X 1.95g (Weight)
Items left at The Wall - The Virtual Collection
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial was dedicated on November 13, 1982. Shortly thereafter, visitors to the Memorial began leaving items in memoriam to those killed and missing service members listed on The Wall. These artifacts now collectively comprise the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Collection -- a museum collection of more than 400,000 items held in the public trust by the National Park Service. Today, this Collection is among the largest and most actively researched collections in the National Capital Region.
The Collection is jointly curated by National Mall and Memorial Parks and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund (VVMF). The VVMF is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that relies upon public donations to continue its work, and receives no federal funding.