Items Left at The Wall

Advanced search +

assemblage

  • Catalog Number:VIVE 00999
  • Accession Date:11/12/1985
  • Item Summary:Artifact assemblage comprised of a military issue, National Defense Service Medal affixed to a triangularly folded, or "tri-fold", Civil and State Flag of Utah. The Utah Flag bears screened design elements including the phrases "UTAH" & "INDUSTRY", the dates "1847" & "1896", and graphic representations of a beehive, sego lilies, and an American bald eagle. The present State Flag of Utah employs the State Seal of Utah, adopted by the State Legislature on April 3, 1896, as a principal design element and was adopted by the Utah State Legislature in February 2011 as the official state flag, thereby replacing a state flag that had been in use since 1913. The American bald eagle featured in the design is the national bird of the United States and symbolizes protection in peace and war. The sego lilly, the state flower of Utah, symbolizes peace while the state motto "INDUSTRY" and the beehive stand for progress and hard work. The date "1847" represents the year the Mormon pioneers entered the Valley of the Great Salt Lake, while "1896" represents the year that Utah was admitted as the 45th State in the Federal Union. The raised relief design of the National Defense Service Medal features an eagle with inverted wings perched upon a sword overlaid with palm branch at the obverse surface, as well as a shield taken from the Coat of Arms of the United States surrounded by a palm and oak wreath at the reverse surface. The National Defense Service Medal (NDSM) was established by President Dwight D. Eisenhower per Executive Order 10448, dated 22 April 1953. The eagle, our National emblem, together with the shield of the Coat of Arms of the United States is used in the design to symbolize the defense of the United States. The combination of oak and palm leaves signify strength and preparedness. The artifact assemblage was left at The Wall by an anonymous donor between August - November 1985. (Source(s): Pioneer- http://pioneer.utah.gov/research/utah_symbols/flag.html / The Institute of Heraldry- http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil)

Insignia, U.S. Army officer Corps of Engineers Branch

  • Catalog Number:VIVE 13958
  • Accession Date:5/26/2009
  • Item Summary:Military issue, U.S. Army officer Corps of Engineers Branch Insignia. The raised relief design of the insignia features a triple turreted castle. The triple turreted castle has been in use by the Corps of Engineers since it was adopted in 1840. Prior to that time, an insignia of a similar design was worn on the uniforms of the Corps of Cadets of the United States Military Academy since the Academy was under the supervision and direction of the Chief of Engineers. Selection of the turreted castle as the Engineer insignia followed the first major construction undertaken by the Corps of Engineers; the building of a system of castle-like fortifications for the protection of harbors along the Atlantic Coast. These fortifications, many of which are still standing, were in fact called castles. By 1924, the insignia had involved into its current design and color (gold). The artifact was left at The Wall by an anonymous donor in May 2009. (Source: The Institute of Heraldry- http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil)

print, black & white photographic


  • Catalog Number:VIVE 00697
  • Accession Date:11/12/1985
  • Associated Name(s) on The Wall: ROBERT W ABERNATHY
  • Item Summary:Black & white photographic print dedicated to U.S. Army Specialist 4 (SP4) Robert William Abbernathy. The image appears to be a high school yearbook photo of SP4 Abbernathy and is affixed to a segment of manila cardstock above the printed identification, "ROBERT WILLIAM ABERNATHY / Abbey", all of which is housed within a clear, poly-plastic identification badge holder. The artifact was left at The Wall by an anonymous donor between August - November 1985.
  • Accession Group:VIVE-00015
  • Record Component Qty:1
  • Item Description:BLACK & WHITE PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINT DEDICATED TO U.S. ARMY SPECIALIST 4 (SP4) ROBERT WILLIAM ABERNATHY. THE OBJECT CONSISTS OF A BLACK & WHITE PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINT (PORTRAIT ORIENTATION) UPON A SMALL, RECTANGULARLY SHAPED SEGMENT OF WHITE PHOTO PAPER. THE IMAGE AT THE OBVERSE OBJECT SURFACE APPEARS TO BE A HIGH SCHOOL YEARBOOK PHOTO [?], AND FEATURES A YOUNG, CAUCASIAN MAN IN DARK SUIT, WHITE COLLARED SHIRT, DARK, HEAVILY RIMMED GLASSES, AND DARK TIE FACING THE CAMERA AND SMILING IN FRONT OF A NONDESCRIPT STUDIO BACKDROP. PRINTED IN BLACK INK AND BLOCK SCRIPT UPON A RECTANGULARLY SHAPED STRIP OF WHITE PAPER IMMEDIATELY BELOW THE PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINT IS THE NAME, "ROBERT WILLIAM ABERNATHY / ABBEY". BOTH THE PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINT AND THE PRINTED NAME ARE AFFIXED TO AN UNDERLAYMENT COMPRISED OF A SEGMENT OF MANILA CARDSTOCK, ALL OF WHICH IS HOUSED WITHIN A CLEAR, POLY-PLASTIC NAME TAG OR IDENTIFICATION BADGE HOLDER WHICH BEARS A SINGLE, SILVER COLORED METAL SAFETY PIN AT THE UPPER, CENTER EDGE OF THE REVERSE OBJECT SURFACE FOR AFFIXING THE OBJECT TO DRESS. STAMPED IN RAISED, BLOCK LETTERING/ARABIC NUMERALS ALONG THE LOWER EDGE OF THE OBVERSE OBJECT SURFACE IS THE MANUFACTURER/SUPPLIER'S INFORMATION, "#206 VU-PIN™ / (LARGE) / PAT.#4,000,570 / BELTSVILLE PLASTICS - MFGS - LAUREL, MARYLAND 20707". THE OBJECT IS VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL TO TWO (2) OTHER OBJECTS (VIVE (696 & 698)).
  • Associated Item Text: Text of the printed and stamped manufacturer/supplier's inscriptions is transcribed in full, as follows: [Obverse object surface, printed inscription] "ROBERT WILLIAM ABERNATHY / Abbey" / [Obverse object surface, stamped manufacturer/supplier's inscription] ""#206 VU-PIN™ / (LARGE) / Pat.#4,000,570 / BELTSVILLE PLASTICS - MFGS - LAUREL, MARYLAND 20707".
  • Item Dimensions and Weight:
    • Item Weight: 6.7g
    • Item Length: 7.5cm
    • Item Width: 10.0cm
    • Item Height: N/A
    • Item Depth: N/A
  • Item Notes:THE OBJECT WAS PREVIOUSLY DISPLAYED IN THE NEW JERSEY EXPLORER CHILDREN'S MUSEUM (NJECM) EXHIBITION (L.2009.1.VIVE).

    THE OBJECT IS VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL TO TWO (2) OTHER OBJECTS (VIVE (696 & 698)).
Leave a Comment

COMMENTS


Items left at The Wall - The Virtual Collection

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial was dedicated on November 13, 1982. Shortly thereafter, visitors to the Memorial began leaving items in memoriam to those killed and missing service members listed on The Wall. These artifacts now collectively comprise the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Collection -- a museum collection of more than 400,000 items held in the public trust by the National Park Service. Today, this Collection is among the largest and most actively researched collections in the National Capital Region.

The Collection is jointly curated by National Mall and Memorial Parks and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund (VVMF). The VVMF is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that relies upon public donations to continue its work, and receives no federal funding.