The Wall of Faces

Advanced search +


is honored on Panel 13W, Line 60 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Leave a Remembrance


  • Final Mission of ADR George A. Young

    Posted on 1/18/16 - by
    On February 26, 1970, a U.S. Navy helicopter UH-34D (tail number 150223) from U.S. Naval Air Facility, Cam Ranh Bay, Detachment Tan Son Nhut, departed the Tan Son Nhut Airbase at approximately 0800H for its daily mission of shuttling mail and passengers to and from the ship and shore installations of the Navy River Forces to local airstrips where connections are established with C-117 aircraft also belonging to this detachment. The aircraft had completed two trips to the small strip at the hamlet of An Long in order to avoid an excess weight take-off from the USS Benewah (APB-35). The aircraft then landed at An Long Airstrip and loaded six passengers and 1050 lbs. of mail. The aircraft departed for the connecting airstrip at Long Xuyen and was noted by the radio controlling agency (Chau Duc radio) to have announced commencement of letdown very shortly before the accident. Approximately 6 miles north of Long Xuyen, An Giang Province, an unidentified Vietnamese civilian stated that he heard two explosion and observed the helicopter turn over two times then fail from the sky, impacting inverted in a dry rice field. The aircraft clock stopped at 1303H. At approximately 1345H at an ARVN outpost, a helicopter was reported to have crashed. An Giang Province TOC alerted an airborne Army observation aircraft which sighted the wreckage and reported its position. Flight service was alerted and rescue and recovery operations were initiated by the Army 164th Combat Aviation Group. Gunships were directed to the crash scene to secure the area, and within 45 minutes the Detachment Operations Officer, waiting at Long Xuyen, was at the site for the initial investigation of the wreckage and the removal of the bodies. By nightfall, all bodies save the pilot were removed. The next morning the Aircraft Accident Board arrived and a comprehensive on-site investigation was commenced. The remains of the pilot were removed. At approximately 1400H the removal of the wreckage from the crash site commenced utilizing an Army UH-1 and CH-47 helicopters. The wreckage was transported to Navy Binh Thuy for further shippage to Tan Son Nhut Airbase. All the UH-34D's components were present on the impact site. The main components (engine, transmission, clutch assembly, main rotor head, etc.) were submitted for tear-down analysis. Everything seemed to be normal save for the transmission. The transmission contained bits of newspaper and pieces of white plastic. The newspaper was coated with green and gold colored paint and the pieces of white plastic material were identified as parts of a plastic cover similar to that used on an aerosol paint spray can. Three crewmen and six passengers were lost in the crash. The lost crewmen included pilot LT Bernard L. LeFevre, co-pilot LJG Henry Hudson Jr., and crew chief ADR George A. Young. The six passengers were EM3 Ronald S. Bay, EN2 Norman K. Byassee, EN3 Robert L. Fallows, RM3 Frank B. Glendenning, EN2 David P. Hoffman, and CS3 Archie C. Wabschall III. [Taken from]
  • Remembering An American Hero

    Posted on 2/28/14 - by Curt Carter
    Dear ADR3 George Albert Young, sir

    As an American, I would like to thank you for your service and for your sacrifice made on behalf of our wonderful country. The youth of today could gain much by learning of heroes such as yourself, men and women whose courage and heart can never be questioned.

    May God allow you to read this, and may He allow me to someday shake your hand when I get to Heaven to personally thank you. May he also allow my father to find you and shake your hand now to say thank you; for America, and for those who love you.

    With respect, and the best salute a civilian can muster for you, Sir

    Curt Carter
  • Never Forgotten

    Posted on 4/10/12
    (Photo Credit: Al Anderson) Rest in peace with the warriors.
  • We Remember

    Posted on 10/30/11 - by Robert Sage
    George is buried at St Daniel's Cemetery, Heidelberg TWP, Berks County,PA.
  • THANKS - WE REMEMBER -September 24, 1988

    Posted on 12/21/05 - by Jim McIlhenney
    George was born in Reading and was a member of Trinty Lutheran Church, Robesonia. He was a 1966 graduate of Conrad Weiser High School, where he was on the track and cross country teams. He also played in the band.
    George enlisted in the Navy during his senior year under the Navy's delayed entry program.
    He trained as an aviation mechanic and was serving as crew chief of a UH34D jet-powered helicopter. The chopper was transferring men from the ship to Long Xuyen Airport, for rotation home, when it exploded and crashed near the airfield.
    Surviving at the time were his wife, Terri, and a 7 1/2-month-old son, George Jr., whom he never saw. Also surviving were his mother, father, and one sister. George Jr. died at age two.
    George was in Vietnam eight months.
    He was 22 years old.

    From The Berks County Vietnam Memorial dedication booklet.
1 2

The Wall of Faces

Brought to you by the organization that built The Wall, the Vietnam Veterans Virtual Memorial Wall is dedicated to honoring, remembering and sharing the legacies of all those who died in the Vietnam War. Here you can go beyond the names on The Wall to see the faces, share the stories and read the remembrances posted by friends, neighbors, classmates and family members.

All of these photos will be showcased in The Education Center at The Wall on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. To learn more about the effort to collect these photos and ensure their faces will never be forgotten, visit