The Wall of Faces

Advanced search +


is honored on Panel 6E, Line 13 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Leave a Remembrance


  • Honoring R.C.Williams

    Posted on 10/26/17 - by Beth Braun
    Thank you to the family of Robert C. Williams for helping us find his photo for the Wall--R.C.'s sister, Geraldine Jolly, niece Faye, and nephew Keith. SSGT Williams received the Bronze Star for his heroism and courage.
  • You are not forgotten

    Posted on 3/2/17 - by jerry sandwisch wood cty.ohio nam vet 1969-70 army 173rd abn bde
    The war may be forgotten but the warrior will always be remembered !!!! All gave Some-Some gave All. Rest in peace Robert. :-(
  • Final Mission of SSGT Robert C. Williams

    Posted on 11/25/14 - by
    On March 14, 1966, two reinforced squad size ambush patrols moved out of the perimeter they had established near the abandoned air strip at Buon Brieng in the Central Highlands and proceeded toward their previously reconned positions east and west of the Battalion CP along the trail complex adjacent to the EA WY. The patrol moving west had moved about 500 yards, halfway to their position, when the point man came face to face with an NVA patrol point man coming toward the battalion’s position. Both men fired immediately and ducked for cover. The rest of the squad immediately came on line, initiated assault fire, and moved forward against sporadic enemy fire. The squad leader, SSGT Robert C. Williams, prudently halted the squad when he came abreast of the point man. By this time all enemy fire had ceased and it was completely dark. On the orders from battalion, the squad returned to the perimeter and prepared to occupy their ambush positions later in the night. There had been no friendly casualties, and enemy casualties were unknown. Extensive mortar H & I fires were initiated In the contact area and continued through the evening. At approximately 0100 hours the base was hit with a heavy enemy mortar barrage. An estimated 125 to 130 mortar rounds fell In a tight dispersion pattern in the western, unoccupied end of the LZ. Counter mortar fire was immediately started with unknown results. There were no friendly casualties, and the enemy fire came no nearer than 50 meters to friendly positions. H & I fires in the area were resumed with new Intensity, and the 3d Platoon of Company A was alerted to prepare to move out on a combat patrol at first light. About 0600 hours the 3d Platoon reached the point of the previous nights contact and found many blood trails in the area. Moving on a little bit further they found approximately 18 rounds of 81mm and 82mm mortar ammunition. The platoon was directed to continue its patrol west along the trail complex adjacent to the stream. By noon they had moved about 2500 meters and requested further instructions. At the same time, as the Platoon Leader, 2LT Pat Lenz, was receiving orders to return to battalion, the point man, SP4 Hood, came upon some WD-1 phone wire laid along the edge of the stream bed. He passed the word back and cautiously moved forward. The platoon leader ordered his trail squad to move up on the left side of the platoon to cover the other bank of the stream. Almost simultaneously the point element of the platoon opened fire on a squad of NVA soldiers deploying to their front. The platoon leader immediately sent his platoon SGT, PSG Jones, and an RTO to check a clearing on the platoon’s right rear. He deployed his platoon on line and began to assault the enemy. The volume of enemy fire increased greatly, and the platoon was almost immediately on the defensive. The platoon leader received a wound in the thigh, and several other men, including two squad leaders; SSGT’s Holbrook and Williams, were wounded and killed in the first few seconds. Realizing he was greatly outnumbered, the platoon leader ordered a withdrawal toward the clearing at his right rear. Throughout this period radio, contact with the platoon leader’s RTO had been sporadic at best, due to his location in the stream bed; however, the platoon’s second RTO, who was with the platoon SGT, was able to relay messages between the platoon leader and company commander. At this time a FAC from a sister battalion was orbiting the scene, and after some difficulty he was able to locate the platoon and direct an air strike. Napalm and 20mm cannon was dropped within 50 meters of friendly forces and stopped the NVA assault just as it was about to overrun the platoon. When the initial contact was reported, 3d Brigade diverted all available lift into the battalion CP, and within 15 minutes there were sufficient helicopters to lift a platoon. The 1st Platoon, commanded by 2LT Richard Coleman, was loaded and lifted to the LZ. The 3d Platoon had been calling continually for reinforcements. The gunships had been unable to put down suppressive fire because of the intermingled forces at the edge of the LZ. The pilots of the 170th Aviation Company did not hesitate however, and at the cost of one pilot killed and three crewmen wounded, the 1st Platoon was landed. Two of its members were killed before they hit the ground. The platoon immediately attacked the enemy and secured the LZ, killing 15 NVA soldiers within 30 meters of the edge of the clearing. The 2d Platoon, commanded by 2LT James Kelsey, was lifted in about 15 minutes behind the 1st Platoon. They immediately deployed to form half of a pincers against the enemy force which had retreated into prepared positions. As the fight progressed the Battalion S3 had gone airborne in an OH-23 to coordinate the troop lift and supporting artillery fire. The area south of the contact was kept sealed off with steady fire from two 105 batteries. At about 1500 hours Company B 1/35 was lifted into an LZ about 2 kilometers west of the contact area and ordered to sweep east in an attempt to catch the fleeing NVA forces. They were successful in killing two and capturing one. By 1500 hours ft was apparent the enemy had decided to quit the battlefield under the cover of a cleverly concealed small stay-behind-force which was effectively slowing the advance of Company A. Reduction of these positions was a bunker by bunker operation requiring the use of M-72 LAW and grenades. The enemy positions were cleared by 1630 and Company B came from the west to link up at 1730 hours. By dark all captured enemy material had been evacuated, and a perimeter had been established. An analysis of the enemy positions and the number of enemy dead (48) indicated that the 3d Platoon had been opposed by a reinforced NVA company (approximately 150-200 men). Approximately 18 individual weapons (CHICOM carbines, AK-47) and 2 light machineguns were captured along with numerous packs, documents, and field gear. Friendly losses were’ 10 KIA and 20 WIA. [Taken from]
  • Remembering An American Hero

    Posted on 3/23/14 - by Curt Carter
    Dear SSGT Robert Curtis Williams, sir

    As an American, I would like to thank you for your service and for your sacrifice made on behalf of our wonderful country. The youth of today could gain much by learning of heroes such as yourself, men and women whose courage and heart can never be questioned.

    May God allow you to read this, and may He allow me to someday shake your hand when I get to Heaven to personally thank you. May he also allow my father to find you and shake your hand now to say thank you; for America, and for those who love you.

    With respect, Sir

    Curt Carter
  • We Remember

    Posted on 7/9/08 - by Robert Sage
    Robert is buried at Tavaras Cemetery in Tavaras, FL.
1 2

The Wall of Faces

Brought to you by the organization that built The Wall, the Vietnam Veterans Virtual Memorial Wall is dedicated to honoring, remembering and sharing the legacies of all those who died in the Vietnam War. Here you can go beyond the names on The Wall to see the faces, share the stories and read the remembrances posted by friends, neighbors, classmates and family members.

All of these photos will be showcased in The Education Center at The Wall on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. To learn more about the effort to collect these photos and ensure their faces will never be forgotten, visit