The Wall of Faces

Advanced search +


is honored on Panel 5W, Line 80 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Leave a Remembrance


  • CPT David L. Alexander - Birthday Remembrance (72d)

    Posted on 3/2/18 - by kr
    The “Friends of Rocky Versace” once again remember one of Henry Spengler's USMA 1968 classmates, CPT David Lee Alexander, on what would’ve been his 72d birthday - 2 March 2018.
  • Happy Birthday Capt Alexander

    Posted on 3/2/17 - by Dana Welch
    Today would be your 71st. It is my 67th. The Wall was in Schenectady NY in 2016. Brought Mary Ellen on The Friday evening and our second born son On Saturday afternoon. This week past, second son brought his fiancé to meet you. He photo msgd David Lee Alexander. Sir, you're always remembered. We remember Mrs Alexander and your daughter in our prayers. FRIP
  • CPT David L. Alexander - Birthday Remembrance (71st)

    Posted on 3/2/17 - by kr
    The “Friends of Rocky Versace” remember one of Henry Spengler's USMA 1968 classmates, CPT David Lee Alexander, on what would’ve been his 71st birthday - 2 March 2017.
  • Final Mission of CPT David L. Alexander

    Posted on 12/22/16 - by
    On February 6, 1971, a U.S. Army Chinook helicopter CH-47B (tail number 67-18493), call sign Boxcar 20, from 178th Assault Support Helicopter Company, was flying support missions hauling water, munitions, and supplies to various LZ’s (landing zones) when it crashed on approach to LZ Siberia in Quang Tin Province, RVN, with the loss of five crewmen and two passengers. The lost crew included pilots CPT Michael J. Kerl and CPT David L. Alexander, flight surgeon CPT Richard A. Aaron, crew chief SP4 Curtis L. Williams, and gunner SP5 Robert J. Rogers. The passengers were SP4 Robert P. Jacques and CPL Kenneth W. Bonestroo. The following is a summary of the accident: Aircraft 67-18493 was initially launched from the 178th ASHC ramp at Chu Lai East Airfield at 1245 hours, February 6, 1971, to work missions for Northern Division Artillery. The aircraft had originally been scheduled for a 0730 hours takeoff, but it was held down due to weather in its area of operations. Aircraft 493 arrived at Hawk Hill at 1302 hours and departed at 1313 hours. This would have been sufficient time to top off with fuel; however, this could not be verified. Aircraft 493 carried a load of Class Five to LZ Siberia arrived back at Hawk Hill at 1345 hours with a backhaul of water blivets (bladders) from LZ Siberia as recorded on the backhaul sheet, then departed Hawk Hill at 1352 hours with another load for LZ Siberia. After dropping off the load at LZ Siberia, aircraft 493 flew to Tien Phuoc and picked up a water trailer from the 3/16th Arty and took it to LZ Siberia. After dropping off the load, it departed for LZ West and picked up a backhaul of an empty water trailer. After dropping the water trailer at Tien Phuoc, it was flown to Hawk Hill, arriving at 1440 hours. Aircraft 493 was at Hawk Hill for thirty minutes, allowing time to refuel and shutdown for a maintenance check although there is no confirmation that this took place. The POL (fuel) operator at Hawk Hill stated that POL was up the entire day. Aircraft 493 departed Hawk Hill at approximately 1510 in route to LZ Siberia. The RTO (radio telephone operator) at LZ Siberia stated that he received a call from Boxcar 20 saying he was inbound with a load of water blivets and a generator. The RTO stated that nothing was indicated to be wrong during the conversation. At 1525 hours, February 6, 1971, aircraft 493 made an approach to LZ Siberia. It was at a slow airspeed and at an altitude of approximately 150-200 feet AGL (above ground level), when a change in the normal tone of a Chinook on an approach alerted personnel on the ground toward the aircraft. The nose of the aircraft dropped down to the right. The aircraft impacted slightly nose low on its right side along the perimeter line on the west side of the LZ. The aircraft, hitting on a ridge created by the perimeter trench line, broke in half allowing the weight of the aft section to carry that section slightly downhill. The front section of the aircraft was not destroyed by the ensuing fire. The aft section slid down hill and was consumed in fire as the forward section lay on its right side free from the fire. The left forward landing gear was just forward of its normal position indicating some forward airspeed or a slightly nose low attitude; however, the right forward landing gear was buried in its proper position relative to the aircraft. It was bent inboard indicating movement directly to the right which was directly downward. A seeming change in rotor RPM is indicated by a tape recording made approximately one hundred feet away from the crash, the condition of the blades and their position relative to their point of impact with the ground also indicate a possible low rotor rpm. Additional statements by witnesses indicate a slowing of the rotor blades. It is assumed that LT Kerl, sitting in the right seat, was flying since CPT Alexander had been the one who called Hawk Hill for departure. It is unit standard operating procedure that one man flies and the other pilot makes all the radio calls for an entire load and then the process is reversed. The pilot in the left seat, CPT Alexander, was alive when removed from the wreckage, but he was dead on arrival at the Hawk Hill medical facility. Ground elements called for a dustoff (medical evacuation by helicopter) and notified their higher elements who in turn called the 123rd Aviation Battalion and the 178th Operations. [Taken from]
  • Remembered

    Posted on 8/17/16 - by Lucy Conte Micik
1 2 3 4 5

The Wall of Faces

Brought to you by the organization that built The Wall, the Vietnam Veterans Virtual Memorial Wall is dedicated to honoring, remembering and sharing the legacies of all those who died in the Vietnam War. Here you can go beyond the names on The Wall to see the faces, share the stories and read the remembrances posted by friends, neighbors, classmates and family members.

All of these photos will be showcased in The Education Center at The Wall on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. To learn more about the effort to collect these photos and ensure their faces will never be forgotten, visit