The Wall of Faces

Advanced search +


is honored on Panel 1W, Line 94 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Leave a Remembrance


  • Thank You

    Posted on 8/31/18 - by Lucy Micik
    Dear SMG Walter Ferguson,
    Thank you for your service as a Fixed Wing Crewman with the Bomber Sq. It is Labor Day weekend, and we remember you all. It has been too long, and it's about time for us all to acknowledge the sacrifices of those like you who answered our nation's call. Please watch over America, it stills needs your strength, courage and faithfulness. Rest in peace with the angels.
  • A true American hero

    Posted on 7/16/17 - by SMSgt williamxj. Morrison, retired, USAF
    Sir: I thank you and your fellow flyers for your sacrifices and commitment to our freedom. As I look around our country today I wonder how you would feel about some of the nonsense going on. I am a retired Air Force SMSgt ad served with the 366th ABGD team at Danang airfield during the course of linebacker II. I will never forget the feeling of the ground shaking under our towers on the fence line during the endless bombing runs! I can never forget the visual of phantom F-4 launching day and night to support the B-52's bombing runs. You sir and your commitment to our country will never be forgotten. Since retiring I have made it my mission to continue to beat the drum of our generations awesome military and the enormous sacrifices that we made to an ungrateful country! God bless you sir I pray you and your fellow airmen are now resting peacefully in the arms of our maker!
  • Air Force friend of Walter from the 97th Bomb Wing at Blytheville AFB.

    Posted on 11/28/16 - by SMSGT. Robert W. Frith, USAF Ret.
    I personally knew Walter Ferguson while stationed in Blytheville, AR, as a crew chief with the 97th Bomb Wing. We were good friends. It has been 44 years since I saw his obituary and I have never forgotten him.
    E-mail my daughter if you would like to reach me.
  • Final Mission of SGT Walter L. Ferguson

    Posted on 7/22/15 - by
    Frustrated by problems in negotiating a peace settlement, and pressured by a Congress and public wanting an immediate end to American involvement in Vietnam, President Nixon ordered the most concentrated air offensive of the war - known as Linebacker II - in December 1972. During the offensive, sometimes called the "Christmas bombings," 40,000 tons of bombs were dropped, primarily over the area between Hanoi and Haiphong. White House Press Secretary Ronald Ziegler said that the bombing would end only when all U.S. POWs were released and an internationally recognized cease-fire was in force. On the first day of Linebacker II, December 18, 129 B52s arrived over Hanoi in three waves, four to five hours apart. They attacked the airfields at Hoa Lac, Kep and Phuc Yen, the Kinh No complex and the Yen Vien railyards. The aircraft flew in tight cells of three aircraft to maximize the mutual support benefits of their ECM equipment and flew straight and level to stabilize the bombing computers and ensure that all bombs fell on the military targets and not in civilian areas. The pilots of the early missions reported that "wall-to-wall SAMS" surrounded Hanoi as they neared its outskirts. The first night of bombing, December 18 and 19, two B-52s were shot down by SAMs. Onboard the first aircraft shot down on December 18 was its pilot, LTCOL Donald L. Rissi and crewmen MAJ Richard E. Johnson, CAPT Richard T. Simpson, CAPT Robert G. Certain, 1LT Robert J. Thomas and SGT Walter L. Ferguson. Of this crew, Certain, Simpson and Johnson were captured and shown the bodies of the other crew members. Six years later on August 23, 1978, the bodies of Rissi, Thomas and Ferguson were returned to U.S. control by the Vietnamese. Certain, Simpson and Johnson were held prisoner in Hanoi until March 29, 1973, when they were released in Operation Homecoming. CAPT Hal K. Wilson was in the lead aircraft of a B-52 cell from Utapao. Also on board his aircraft were crew men MAJ Fernando Alexander, CAPT Charles A. Brown Jr., CAPT Henry C. Barrows, CAPT Richard W. Cooper Jr. (the navigator), and SGT Charlie S. Poole (the tail gunner). Wilson's aircraft was hit by a SAM near his target area and crashed in the early morning hours of December 19, sustaining damage to the fuselage. In the ensuing fire, there was no time for orderly bailout, but as later examination of radio tapes indicated, all six crewmen deployed their parachutes and evidently safely ejected. The aircraft damage report indicated that all six men were prisoner. Radio Hanoi announced in news broadcasts between 19 and 22 December that the six crewmen had been captured. When the war ended, however, only four of the crew returned from Hanoi prisons. Hanoi remained silent about the fate of Charlie Poole and Richard Cooper. On March 5, 1996 remains were returned that were positively identified on August 12, 2003. These remains were prepared for a group burial. That internment service took place at Arlington National Cemetery on December 19, 2003. [Taken from]
  • im you all ober again

    Posted on 2/3/15
    Wish I could of meet you
1 2 3

The Wall of Faces

Brought to you by the organization that built The Wall, the Vietnam Veterans Virtual Memorial Wall is dedicated to honoring, remembering and sharing the legacies of all those who died in the Vietnam War. Here you can go beyond the names on The Wall to see the faces, share the stories and read the remembrances posted by friends, neighbors, classmates and family members.