The Wall of Faces

Advanced search +


is honored on Panel 6E, Line 9 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Leave a Remembrance


  • Thank You

    Posted on 5/13/18 - by Lucy Micik
    Dear PFC Robert Dial,
    Thank you for your service as an Armor Crewman with the 1st Cavalry. It is Mother's Day, and I wish you all were here with your moms. It has been too long, and it's about time for us all to acknowledge the sacrifices of those like you who answered our nation's call. Please watch over America, it stills needs your strength, courage and faithfulness. Rest in peace with the angels.
  • i'm proud of our Vietnam Veterans

    Posted on 7/5/16 - by Dennis Wriston
    Private First Class Robert Lewis Dial, Served with Company A, 227th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 11th Aviation Group, 1st Calvary Division.
  • Final Mission of PFC Robert L. Dial

    Posted on 12/13/15 - by
    On March 13, 1966, a U.S. Army helicopter UH-1D (tail number 0E080ACD) from Company A, 227th Assault Helicopter Battalion, was involved in a troop lift when it was shot down by enemy ground fire. The attack and subsequent crash of the aircraft resulted in the death of one crewman, gunner PFC Robert L. Dial, and the injuries, some grievous, of 11 others on board the helicopter. The following is an account of the crash by Perry Tillman III, a trooper being carried during the lift: On Sunday, March 13, 1966 while going on mission, I was injured in a helicopter (Huey) crash. The landing zone (LZ) was on a hill top in the May Cong Delta better known as Happy Valley. I do not remember the name of the mission. That March 13th date and Happy Valley have been imprinted in my mind. I can remember flying to the LZ and something happening. What happened, is still a mystery to me. I do not know if the helicopter lost power or if it was shot down. The next thing I remember was soldiers being thrown or jumping out of the helicopter while I was trying to brace myself for the crash. We are talking about seconds when I was thinking about what to do in this situation. What went through my mind was if I should jump or not. The reason I was thinking about that was because we went to a repelling training demonstration where a trooper was almost killed. The helicopter lost power but it regained power before it crashed. The trooper who was repelling underneath did fall and suffer injuries but he was not crushed to death. In a situation like this, the drill sergeant told us not to jump but to ride the helicopter down. I was following that order when I was injured. Since that time I have tried to second guess that decision. Each time I do, I still think I made the right decision. When I was thrown to the ground, I could not get up. I think the chopper rolled over me hitting me in the back. A trooper ran to me first and asked if I were OK, I told him that "I was all right but could not get up." I felt no pain and did not know the extent of my injuries. I just could not get up. Everybody then ran to the other trooper who had been hit by the blade and lost both legs. They applied first aid to the trooper who was hit by the blade. We were then put on an incoming helicopter and sent to the 85th Evacuation Hospital Field Unit. I remember parts of the chopper ride to the 85th Evacuation Hospital Field Unit. I do remember being placed on the x-ray machine at the field hospital and that I was in severe pain. After being x-rayed, the next thing I remember was waking up about three or four days later. I was told by Dr. Blackett, the field hospital doctor, who operated on me that my spine was destroyed. It was crushed and severed at T-11, T-12, and L-1. Dr. Blackett told me that I would not regain any feeling and use below my level of injury. I do not think he came out and said I would never walk again. Looking back at what Dr. Blackett told me; however I can truly say I did not realize the full impact of my spinal injury at that time. I assumed I would be up and walking in a few months. As I later reflected on his diagnosis and explanation, I was able to understand why I would never walk again. I was also able to make decisions regarding future diagnoses and treatments by doctors who did not see firsthand, the full extent of my injuries. It also helped me to get past the fact that I was going to be a paraplegic for the rest of my life. It was at the 85th Evacuation Hospital Unit that I was told my helicopter had been shot down. I was also told that at the bottom of the hill, the pilot and copilot walked away from the crash and the helicopter blew up. They told me who was wounded and who was killed. The door gunner (PFC Dial) was killed. One trooper had both legs severed by the chopper blade. Two troopers were hit by the chopper blade and each lost a leg. Another trooper had an arm cut off. Another trooper had his skill crushed, and I became a paraplegic. I was put on a Striker Frame at the 85th. Evacuation Hospital. As a paraplegic who was already in so much pain, being rotated on a Striker Frame was the worst feeling in the world. However, it prevented bed sores. It was the best treatment for me because it also helped to keep my back at a position where it could heal properly. This was far better than having tongs put in my head to straighten my back. Fred Carrizales, who had both legs severed by the chopper blade, may have been in the bed next to me at the 85th Evacuation Unit. I know a double amputee Trooper was in the bed next to me but because I was on the Striker Frame, I could not see who it was. In my rotation back to the states from the Republic of Vietnam, I went to Clark AFB in the Philippine Islands. At Clark AFB, surprisingly, I was pulled off the elevator by a high school classmate. It did me all the good in the world to see someone from New Orleans. I was almost dead on the old Striker Frame, but my high school classmate invited me to go out and party that night! I passed through Hawaii via Trippler Army Hospital. In my rotation, I passed through Hawaii via Trippler Army Hospital. When I came back home to New Orleans, everybody wanted to know how Hawaii was. I was on a Striker Frame in Hawaii and I could only say that I saw the sky and the ground. I could no more tell about Hawaii than the man in the moon. I vowed to return. My wife and I now vacation in Hawaii every year. I did not see anything in Hawaii my first time there, but I sure am seeing it now! (By Perry Tillman III, 1st Cavalry Division)
  • Remembering an American Hero

    Posted on 3/13/13 - by Curt Carter

    Dear PFC Robert Lewis Dial, sir

    As an American, I would like to thank you for your service and for your sacrifice made on behalf of our wonderful country. The youth of today could gain much by learning of heroes such as yourself, men and women whose courage and heart can never be questioned.

    May God allow you to read this, and may He allow me to someday shake your hand when I get to Heaven to personally thank you. May he also allow my father to find you and shake your hand now to say 'thank you'; for America, for those who love you, and for the Sgt's son.

    With respect, and the best salute a civilian can muster for you, Sir

    Curt Carter (son of Sgt. Ardon William Carter, 101st Airborne, February 4, 1966, South Vietnam)

  • Photo

    Posted on 2/18/13

    Rest in peace with the warriors.

1 2

The Wall of Faces

Brought to you by the organization that built The Wall, the Vietnam Veterans Virtual Memorial Wall is dedicated to honoring, remembering and sharing the legacies of all those who died in the Vietnam War. Here you can go beyond the names on The Wall to see the faces, share the stories and read the remembrances posted by friends, neighbors, classmates and family members.