The Wall of Faces

Advanced search +


is honored on Panel 30W, Line 62 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Leave a Remembrance


  • Mia bracelet

    Posted on 8/10/18 - by Ronda L, Hermick
    Dear Staff sergeant Anselmo,
    I got your Mia bracelet when I was in basic training at Lackland Air Force Base. I wore it for many years and still wear it at times today. I would have loved to be able t give it to you. Rest in piece .
  • Remembered

    Posted on 9/16/16 - by Lucy Conte Micik
  • Thanks for the turtle

    Posted on 3/6/16 - by
    Billy my cousin, thanks for the turtle you gave me when I was a little boy. I wish you would have made it home.
  • Final Mission of SSGT William F. Anselmo

    Posted on 7/26/15 - by
    The Fairchild C-123 "Provider" was a night attack system/transport aircraft based on an all-metal glider designed by Chase Aircraft. The airplane's C-123B prototype first flew on September 1, 1954. The C-123B, in the hands of a group of airmen who called themselves "The Mule Train" became the first transport to see Vietnam service. The Provider, particularly in camouflage paint with mottled topside and light bottom side, resembled an arched-back whale suspended from the bottom midpoint of huge dorsal wings. Like other transports, the Provider proved its versatility during the Vietnam War. On March 6, 1968, a U.S. Air Force C-123K was scheduled to fly to Phu Bai Airfield, South Vietnam, some thirty-nine miles northwest of DaNang, then on to Khe Sanh, Quang Tri Province. Aircraft commander LTC Frederick J Hampton, co-pilot 1LT Ellis E Helgeson, and crew chief SGT Jeffrey F Conlin comprised the crew of the C-123K (serial # 54-0590), Mission # 702. All members of this aircrew were assigned to the 311th Air Cargo Squadron, 315th Air Cargo Wing, Phan Rang Airbase, South Vietnam and were detached to DaNang Airbase. Mission # 702 departed DaNang with its cargo for Phu Bai. After off-loading its cargo was accomplished, the aircraft was subsequently loaded with 43 U.S. Marines bound for Khe Sanh. Phu Bai’s passenger representative assisted the aircraft’s loadmaster in organizing various pallets loaded with the passengers’ gear, another set of pallets stacked with M-60 machine guns and other weapons, and more loaded with beer and soft drinks that were all to be delivered to Khe Sanh. When Mission # 702 departed Phu Bai Airfield, it carried a total of 51 passengers and crew--43 Marines, 1 Navy corpsman, 1 civilian photographer, 3 U.S. Air Force passengers and the 3-man Air Force aircrew. Once in the vicinity of their destination, LTC Hampton established radio contact with ground control and was cleared to land. He initiated his final approach to Khe Sanh’s airfield, but was forced to abort the landing because of a South Vietnamese Air Force (VNAF) light aircraft that obstructed the runway. The Provider circled around at low altitude to set up for a second approach. However, as it did so, it was hit by enemy ground fire in the port jet engine. LTC Hampton climbed for altitude as he transmitted their situation and reported that he was returning back to DaNang with battle damage. Shortly thereafter, the Provider spiraled into the ground exploding on impact. The crash site was located in extremely rugged jungle-covered mountains that was dotted with small clearings covered with elephant grass and bamboo just a mile southeast of the base’s runway, less than a mile east of the closest point along Route 9, and just north of the closest location on the Song Quang Tri River that nearly encircled the loss location. The crash site was also located approximately 14 miles east of the South Vietnamese/Lao border, 58 miles west-northwest of the Phu Bai Airfield and 100 miles northwest of DaNang Airbase. Due to the tactical situation in and around Khe Sanh, ground search parties first reached the aircraft’s wreckage on April 26, 1968 to begin the grizzly task of recovering remains. Other search teams returned to the crash site on June 24 and July 3, 1968 respectively. On each occasion, human remains, dog tags, other identification media and personal effects were recovered. All possible human remains and personal affects that were recovered were transported to the U.S. Army mortuary facility at DaNang for the arduous task of identification. Military morticians were able to positively identify less than half of the men aboard the Provider. Those remains were embalmed and returned to each man’s family for burial. They included PFC George E. Beale, PFC Willis Beauford Jr., LCPL John H. Clark, 1LT Ellis E. Helgeson Jr., PFC Ralph E. Higgs, PFC Robert J. Horvath, PFC Harry K. Latshaw, CPL Dennis J. Medeiros, PFC Ronnie C. Presley, PVT Domingo Rodriguez Jr., CPL Ronald R. Ryan, CPL James H. Smith Jr., PFC James O. Taylor, LCPL Louis G. Taylor, LCPL Robert L. Vickers, PFC Stephen A. West, PFC David R. Wienckoski, LCPL Hollis Williams Jr., and PFC Thomas H. Williams. Remains of the other personnel on board could not be positively identified, therefore they were returned to Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery for group interment on November 23, 1968. The names include PFC Herbert R. Aldridge, PFC David G. Anderson, SSGT William F. Anselmo, PFC Charles G. Boyer, CPL Joseph P. Brignac, PFC Donald R. Bumstead, PFC George L. Elliott III, PFC Michael D. Gray, PFC James A. Grzegorek, PFC Blucher R. Hall, PFC Paul E. Hicks, PFC Howard E. Hollar, LCPL Andrew Jackson, CPL Larry S. Kennedy, LCPL Thomas MacMillan, PFC Joseph A. Marturano, LCPL Winford McCosar, PFC Dennis M. Mead, PFC James E. Miles, PFC Roger C. Minch, PFC James E. Moore, PFC Thomas J. Moss Jr., PFC Richard J. O'Hare, CPL Vic M. Pizarro, SSGT Noel L. Rios, CPL Samuel P. Robinson, CPL Michael Sears, LCPL Kenneth A. Stanciu, CPL Stanley G. Strong, PFC Daryl B. Terhune, CPL William L. Terrell, HM3 Louis J. Toner, MSGT Howard B. Waldron, and Robert Ellison, a civilian photographer for Newsweek magazine. [Taken from]
  • He and Noel Rios are the reason I am alive.

    Posted on 1/2/15 - by Jessica Snyder
    My father Joseph Weicicoskie was supposed to be on the plane. Billy and Rios wouldn't let him go. My father passed away this morning from complications of Agent Orange related lung cancer. He carried such a burden of guilt for all these years and I didn't realize how deep it was until the last few years. Billy and Rios are heroes in my eyes and I will always be thankful for the sacrifice they made.
1 2

The Wall of Faces

Brought to you by the organization that built The Wall, the Vietnam Veterans Virtual Memorial Wall is dedicated to honoring, remembering and sharing the legacies of all those who died in the Vietnam War. Here you can go beyond the names on The Wall to see the faces, share the stories and read the remembrances posted by friends, neighbors, classmates and family members.