The Wall of Faces

Advanced search +


is honored on Panel 54E, Line 32 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Leave a Remembrance


  • Thank You

    Posted on 3/7/18 - by Lucy Micik
    Dear Sp5 Kenneth Cryan,
    Thank you for your service as a Special Forces Qualified Combat Engineer. The page you are on with this wall was an zip code growing up, so sad. It is so important for us all to acknowledge the sacrifices of those like you who answered our nation's call. Please watch over America, it stills needs your strength, courage and faithfulness. Rest in peace with the angels.
  • Baseball

    Posted on 7/28/15 - by Matt Cusimano
    I remember Ken as a really good baseball player. I remember him...he is not for gotten
  • A MACV SOG warrior, a wonderful young man and a great friend.

    Posted on 2/19/15 - by Stephen C Perry
    I served with Ken at FOB 1, Phu Bai. He was a great soldier, a great friend and I will never forget him. I wrote about him in my book "Bright Light".
  • Remembering An American Hero

    Posted on 5/6/14 - by Curt Carter
    Dear SP5 Kenneth Michael Cryan, sir

    As an American, I would like to thank you for your service and for your sacrifice made on behalf of our wonderful country. The youth of today could gain much by learning of heroes such as yourself, men and women whose courage and heart can never be questioned.

    May God allow you to read this, and may He allow me to someday shake your hand when I get to Heaven to personally thank you. May he also allow my father to find you and shake your hand now to say thank you; for America, and for those who love you.

    With respect, Sir

    Curt Carter
  • Final Mission of SP5 Kenneth M. Cryan

    Posted on 4/27/14 - by
    On 3 May 1968, a nine-man reconnaissance team, Surveillance Team Alaska, was inserted into an area just over the South Vietnam/Laotian border west of the A Shau Valley. The area of operations was believed to be occupied by a North Vietnamese Army division that had been forced to withdraw from the A Shau Valley. The team consisted of SSGT John Allen, team leader; SP5 Kenneth M. Cryan, assistant team leader; PFC Paul C. King, Jr., medic/radio operator; and Six Nung tribesmen, names unknown. The insertion was unopposed. As the team moved through the jungle, they came upon what appeared to be a major headquarters. SSGT Allen and one Nung moved close enough to photograph the NVA buildings and then withdrew to rejoin the team. Almost at once, the team's presence was detected and NVA forces began pursuit. SP5 Cryan was severely wounded and one Nung killed in the first exchange of fire. Carrying the two casualties, Surveillance Team Alaska attempted to break contact, and when that failed took up a defensive position in a bomb crater that provided open fields of fire in all directions. They immediately came under attack from the encircling NVA forces. PFC King was able to raise a COVEY forward air controller by radio. King and SSgt Allen changed places so Allen could coordinate tactical air support with the FAC. King raised his head above the crater lip to fire on the enemy and was immediately struck in the head and killed by enemy fire. The COVEY FAC was able to bring in TACAIR to discourage the NVA and an extraction attempt was made. As the UH-1 Huey approached the crater it took multiple hits and was forced to withdraw. Tactical air strikes continued until nightfall. Surveillance Team Alaska stayed in position through the night, fighting off several NVA assaults. During the last NVA assault, just before dawn, four of the five surviving Nungs were killed, leaving SSGT Allen, one unwounded Nung, and SP5 Cryan in the crater. When COVEY and supporting tactical air arrived they discovered the NVA had placed a ring of .51 caliber and 37mm anti-aircraft guns around the crater. Almost immediately an F-4 Phantom was hit and downed (the crew was later recovered). A larger USAF SAR helicopter then came on scene and allowed that while they could not land they could lower a 3-man penetrator seat but that conditions precluded lifting more than two men at one time. SSGT King agreed, the penetrator seat was lowered, SP5 Cryan and the surviving Nung boarded, and the lift began. As the two men were hoisted into the air they received heavy fire from the surrounding NVA forces; both died from multiple gunshot wounds. Now alone on the ground, SSGT Allen decided his only chance was to make a break for it, and he did so while the supporting aircraft were strafing the NVA positions. He was able to find his way to a sheltered area; from that position he asked COVEY to saturate the surrounding area with bombs and gunfire. Immediately after the strikes, a SVNAF 219th Special Operations Squadron H-34 attempted a pick-up; it was shot down and exploded on impact, killing its entire crew. A US UH-1 Huey also was shot down; its crew was rescued. SSGT Allen was able to evade the pursuing NVA troops and move away from the area of the flak trap and was finally picked up by another SVNAF 219th SOS H-34. The sole survivor of Surveillance Team Alaska had been extracted and the bodies of two others recovered. The crater held the other members of the team: PFC King and five Nungs. Their bodies could not be recovered, nor could those of the downed SVNAF H-34. [Taken from]
1 2 3

The Wall of Faces

Brought to you by the organization that built The Wall, the Vietnam Veterans Virtual Memorial Wall is dedicated to honoring, remembering and sharing the legacies of all those who died in the Vietnam War. Here you can go beyond the names on The Wall to see the faces, share the stories and read the remembrances posted by friends, neighbors, classmates and family members.

All of these photos will be showcased in The Education Center at The Wall on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. To learn more about the effort to collect these photos and ensure their faces will never be forgotten, visit