|2017 IN MEMORY
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
|FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS|
VVMF’s In Memory program honors Vietnam veterans whose lives were cut short as a result of their service in Vietnam, but are not eligible for inscription on The Wall under Department of Defense guidelines. In Memory is a way that Vietnam veterans can be honored on the National Mall.
The plaque that honors these veterans was dedicated as a part of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in 2004. It reads: In Memory of the men and women who served in the Vietnam War and later died as a result of their service. We honor and remember their sacrifice.
In Memory began in 1999 and has since honored more than 2,800 veterans.
Examples of causes of death that do fit the criteria for inclusion in VVMF's In Memory program:
- PTSD related illnesses / events
- Exposure to Agent Orange and similar chemicals
- Hodgkin's Disease
- Ischemic Heart Disease
- Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
- Parkinson's Disease
Along with the application there are two documents required in the application process. A copy of the death certificate and a copy of the DD214.
Examples of proof of service in Vietnam are listed on the DD214 as:
- Vietnam Service Medal (VSM)
- Vietnam Campaign Medal (VCM)
- Vietnam Service Ribbon
Having a loved one honored in VVMF’s In Memory program includes:
- Inclusion in the annual In Memory Day ceremony held on the National Mall. Family and friends of new honorees are invited to attend the ceremony and say their loved one's name.
- At the ceremony, you will be provided with a “Tribute” – a 9 x 12 framed certificate containing the Honoree’s photo and other provided information.
- Your loved one will be included in the annual In Memory yearbook. The yearbook includes the full list and photos of current year’s honorees. Click here to see last year’s yearbook.
- Your Honoree will be added to VVMF’s virtual In Memory Honor Roll. Friends and family will be able to share remembrances on the individual's page. Click here to see the Honor Roll.
- Family and friends of honorees are invited to attend all future In Memory ceremonies.
HOW TO APPLY TO THE IN MEMORY PROGRAM
If you have a question about the program or are experiencing difficulty with the application, contact VVMF at (202) 393-0090 or via e-mail at email@example.com.